Tuesday 23 June 2015

I would have accepted Real's job if I was offered


After Carlo Ancelotti was sacked by Real Madrid, Zidane was one of the potential contenders to lead the Los Blancos next season instead, Real Madrid President, Fiorentino Perez chose the ex Vanlencia and Liverpool coach, Rafa Benetez instead of him.

''Zizou'' claims he holds no grudge agaibst Real Madrid for not offering him the job even though he won't turn down the oppurtunity to manage the calibre of players that Madrid has.


"Yes, I would have accepted the task of being Ancelotti's successor," he told France Football on his 43rd birthday. "I am a professional and never refuse a challenge.

"But no, I am not disappointed I was overlooked in favour of Benitez. It was felt by the board that now was not the time for me to take over. These things happen naturally, one should not force them.

"It was not meant to be on this occasion. Madrid president Florentino Perez chose another coach, and that's that."

Zidane also opened up about his first full 12 months as head coach during which he attained a deeper understanding of how solitary life at the top can be at times.

"For the first time I was the person who was making the big decisions," the World Cup-winning former France midfielder added. "Being a coach means being alone. One is judged on results and what one gives his players."

No comments:

Post a Comment